There are many different ways you can use our services – to search for and share information, to communicate with other people or to create new content. When you share information with us, for example by creating a MappTrek Account, we can make those services even better – to show you more relevant search results and ads, to help you connect with people or to make sharing with others quicker and easier. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
- What information we collect and why we collect it. How we use that information.
- The choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
Information We Collect:
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which language you speak, to more complex things like location information, which ads you’ll find most useful, the people who matter most to you online, or which pictures, videos, and spots that you might like.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, our service requires you to sign up for a MappTrek Account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address, and telephone number. If you want to take full advantage of the sharing features we offer, we might also ask you to create a publicly visible MappTrek Profile, which may include your name, photo and activities.
- Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you like a picture/trek/event in our app. This information includes:
We collect device specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number). MappTrek may associate your device identifiers or phone number with your MappTrek Account.
When you use our services or view content provided by MappTrek, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
- Internet protocol address.
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, and time of your request and referral URL.
- Account information.
When you use MappTrek services, we may collect and process information about your actual location. We use various technologies to determine location, including IP address, GPS, and other sensors that may, for example, provide MappTrek with information on nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
Unique application numbers
Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to MappTrek when you install or uninstall that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as application data caches.
Cookies and similar technologies
We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a MappTrek service, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services we offer to our partners, such as advertising services or MappTrek features that may appear on other sites.
Information we collect when you are signed in to MappTrek, in addition to information we obtain about you from partners, may be associated with your MappTrek Account. When information is associated with your MappTrek Account, we treat it as personal information.
How We Use Information We Collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect MappTrek and our users. We also use this information to offer you tailored content – like giving you more relevant search results and ads.
We may use the name you provide for your MappTrek Profile across all of the services we offer that require a MappTrek Account. In addition, we may replace past names associated with your MappTrek Account so that you are represented consistently across all our services. If other users already have your email, or other information that identifies you, we may show them your publicly visible MappTrek Profile information, such as your name and photo.
If you have a MappTrek Account, we may display your Profile name, Profile photo, and actions you take on MappTrek or on third party applications connected to your MappTrek Account (such as +1’s, reviews you write and comments you post) in our services, including displaying in ads and other commercial contexts. We will respect the choices you make to limit sharing or visibility per your MappTrek Account Settings.
When you contact MappTrek, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We may use information collected from other technologies, to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services.
We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other MappTrek services – for example to make it easier to share things with people you know. We will not combine MappTrek app information with personally identifiable information unless we have your opt in consent.
MappTrek currently processes personal information on our servers located in the United States. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live now or in the future.
Information you share
Many of our services let you share information with others. Remember that when you share information publicly, it may be index able by search engines. Our services provide you with different options on sharing and removing your content.
Accessing and updating your personal information
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
Information We Share
We do not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of MappTrek unless one of the following circumstances applies:
With your consent
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of MappTrek when we have your consent to do so. We require opt in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
For external processing
For legal reasons
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of MappTrek if we have a good
Faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request. Enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations. Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of MappTrek, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect MappTrek and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We encrypt many of our services using SSL.
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to MappTrek employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.